Music We Love: Lou, Songwriter and Bassist for Levy & The Oaks, Shares His Favorite Tunes
Meet Lou Panico.
He's been a touring musician since 2008. Former member of rock band Socratic (Drive-Thru Records). Current bassist and songwriter in Jersey-based indie-rock group Levy & The Oaks. Vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, producer, recording engineer, business manager, entrepreneur.
Here, Lou shares his 5 favorite songs... and gives a few fun music lessons while he's at it!
1. "The Sounds Of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel: This is one of the most haunting yet beautiful songs I have ever heard. I have loved it since I was a child and continue to love it into adulthood. I have taken Simon & Garfunkel's harmonious vocal style and used it for my own music as it is pure inspiration. Emotionally enthralling as Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah".
2. "The End" Abbey Road medley by The Beatles: This 8 song / 16 minute medley (the entire side B of Abbey Road) is one of the most musically impressive examples of songwriting I have ever heard. Coming from the biggest band of all time, this isn't very surprising. Fun fact: "The End" also features the only Beatles drum solo ever recorded by Ringo Starr.
3. "Tracks Of My Tears" by Linda Ronstadt: So let's talk about the most underrated female vocalist of all time, Linda Ronstadt. In total, she released over 30 studio albums and 15 greatest hits albums, winning 11 Grammy Awards, three American Music awards, two Country Music awards, and an Emmy. All that said, no one knows who she is when mentioned by name. It's incredible how many songs you know by Linda and have no idea. I couldn't make this list without including this one as I have fond memories of my mother singing it to me in the car as a small child. Beautiful song with an amazing hook that will be stuck in your head for days.
4. "To Be With You" by Mr. Big: Talk about a song that will be stuck in your head for days (if not weeks)! This song needs no explanation. Just listen to it and enjoy one of the greatest guitar solos ever played on an ACOUSTIC GUITAR! You've likely heard this song at one point in your life. You'll thank me for reminding you of it. No road trip is complete without Mr. Big on your playlist.
5. "Hotel California" by The Eagles: Is there a more perfect song? If there is, I have yet to find it. Voted best guitar solo of all time by one of the most volatile original rock bands of all time. Fun fact: Did you know The Eagles started as Linda Ronstadt's backing band?
Honorable mention: "Candle In The Wind" by Elton John: Just, WOW. I have recently been obsessed with this one after completely forgetting that the song existed. Written in honor of Princess Diana, this song will pull at your heart strings and is one of Elton John's best. Say what you will about Elton John -- this song is one of the greatest of all time.
Are you a music lover? Do you want to share your favorite songs with us here on The Music Mermaid? Head over to our Music We Love form right here.