Music We Love: Theater Nerd, Katlyn, Shares Her Favorite Showtunes
Meet Katlyn Mendoza, a self-proclaimed theater nerd. She loves showtunes and describes herself as "a chill kind of acoustic music lover..." but she also has that "little dab of punk rocker" in her.
Here, Katlyn shares her 5 favorite songs...
1. "You and I Both" by Jason Mraz: What's not to love about this song? I've heard it since I was very young and it brings back so many good memories and has such a beautiful melody. It's enchanting and charming and has a beautiful message.
2. "Corner of the Sky" by Stephen Schwartz, from Pippin: The guy who wrote the music for Pocahontas and Notre Dame also made incredible musicals. This including Wicked, Godspell, and of course Pippin. "Corner of the Sky" is a song I had to sing twice in two different choirs when I was younger so of course comes along the good memories, but at the same time it has the message of trying to find out who you are. When you're 12 years old, that's the journey you begin. I still am trying to find a clear answer of who I am.
3. The Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Tchaikovsky: Honestly, anything that man has created makes you want to raise to your tip toes and be a ballerina, but the Nutcracker suite has something so magical about it. Maybe it has to do with Christmastime and the magic that follows, but magic follows me everywhere... because what's life without believing in magic?
4. "When You Wish Upon A Star" by Cliff Edwards, Disney Studio Chorus, and Paul Smith: I'm a Disney person and if you're the same way, something about this song just brings you to your knees. You remember your childhood and the magic that was in it. Wishing upon stars may be silly, but I always did, and maybe all my dreams haven't come true but it's been pretty damn close.
5. "Seventy Times 7" by Brand New: This song is just golden. For a Long Islander who knows the beef between Brand New and Taking Back Sunday, this song is the better one of the two songs that came out of it. If you're angry, it's the perfect song to get out all your hate and anger.